1. Original Content: All entries submitted to the Four Corners Film Festival (FCFF) Screenwriting Competition must be original works by the applicant. If the script is an adaptation or based on source material to which the entrant doesn’t own the rights, permission to adapt the original work must be submitted as the first page in the screenplay PDF.
2. Submissions: Submissions must be made online. No mailed or emailed entries are accepted. FCFF does not allow changes to the categories after submission. All submissions are final, and FCFF does not issue refunds or adjustments of entry fees. Each submission will be sent a confirmation email once payment is processed.
3. Multiple Categories: Entrants may submit the same entry to more than one category. Each category entered requires an entry fee for that category.
4. Formatting: Screenplays must be formatted according to industry standards. Pages must be numbered and typed in 12 point Courier font. All entries must be submitted in English. Include title only on title page. The author’s name should NOT appear on the title page or anywhere on the script, to preserve anonymity and fairness. MovieMagic Screenwriter, Final Draft, and Celtx are suggested programs.
- Feature -- 75-150 pages
- Short -- 1-35 pages
- 30 min pilot -- no longer than 40 pages for single camera format, no longer than 60 pages for multi-camera format
- 60 min pilot -- no longer than 75 pages
6. Revisions: FCFF considers all entries to be complete. You may not send in revisions after the screenplay or teleplay has been submitted. In addition, we will not accept a script for a feature that is under 40 pages with a notice: “to be continued.”
7. Ineligibility: The FCFF Screenwriting Competition does not accept novels, short stories, stage plays, treatments, synopses, reality show concepts, scripts for existing TV series, or works that are not original. Scripts also must not have been sold or currently be under option prior to 10/3/19. FCFF employees, including seasonal staff, board members, sponsors, and their immediate families, are not eligible to submit in any category.
8. Judging: Scripts will be judged numerically on several different criteria (including, but not limited to, structure, premise, and entertainment value.) Awards, selections, and decisions of NashFilm are final.
9. Winner Notification: Semi-finalists and finalists will be notified by July 15, 2019. Winners in each category will be announced at the Screenwriting Competition Awards Ceremony during the festival in September 2019.
10. Co-Authors: If a screenplay has more than one author, it is up to the authors to decide how many authors to list on the application and who will be the primary contact e-mail. Awards are given per entry, not per author. Therefore, groups of authors associated with one entry are responsible for the division of awards, including laminates. FCFF does not assume responsibility for arrangements with regard to laminate or cash divisions.
11. New Mexico Category: The writer must have been born in New Mexico, or currently reside in New Mexico. The entrant is responsible for the authenticity of this claim and any inquiry regarding that authenticity. You may be asked to provide proof of residence at any point during the duration of the contest.
12. Copyright: All entrants are encouraged to register their screenplays with the Writers’ Guild of America, East or West: www.wgaeast.org/script_registration, or www.wga.org/registration/index.html, and with the U.S. Copyright Office.
By submitting my screenplay to the Four Corners Film Festival, I:
1. Recognize that Four Corners Film Festival, its representatives and files are replete with ideas and
stories for theatrical motion pictures and television programs and that new ideas for motion pictures and television programs are constantly being submitted to FCFF. I also recognize that many stories and ideas are similar and often different stories and ideas related to one or more common underlying themes.
2. I agree to indemnify FCFF and its representatives, including its judges and readers, against any and all claims, expenses, losses or liabilities that may be asserted against FCFF and its representatives at any time in connection with said Material, or any use thereof, including without limitation those arising from any breach of the warranties and promises given by me herein.
3. I hereby release and discharge FCFF and its representatives, including judges and readers, from any and all claims and demands and will not assert, maintain, or assist
any party in asserting or maintaining any claims or demands against FCFF arising out of, or in connection with the Materials, including without limitation, any and all claims for libel, rights of publicity, theft, or misappropriation of ideas or trade secrets or infringement of copyright or other intellectual property rights.
4. I warrant I am the sole owner and author of the Material submitted.
5. I agree that any part of the submitted Material which is not novel or original and not legally protected may be used by FCFF without any liability on FCFF.
6. FCFF shall not be under any obligation to me with respect to the submitted material except as may later be set forth in a fully executed written agreement between us.
7. I have retained a copy of the Material and agree that FCFF shall not be obligated to return the Material to me.
8. I acknowledge that FCFF is under no obligation to use the Material in any manner. I warrant it is original to me and that I am the author and owner of the Material.